One of the main reasons why SPeak App is around is to tell you when things are free, and which free stuff is worth your download and your clients’ time. For this Halloween, SPeak App presents to you two kid ebooks guaranteed to help you work on your kids’ narratives.
On Lion Roars Up, Lion is sick in bed and his friends try to cheer him up and make him feel better… well, apparently they tried too hard. The ebook The Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs tells the classic fable of a greedy couple who killed their goose hoping to gather more golden eggs.
What I love about this app:
- two reading options: You can opt for the app to read for you by playing it as an animation with a storyteller going through the story slide by slide, read it yourself where you can touch the screen to turn the page and the words will appear for you to read from.
- interactive! On Read It Myself mode, your kid client can tap on the cartoon characters and have them make a sound or speak a line.
- three kinds of views: choose to view it as a running animation, a classic page-turn animation, or view it in Cover Flow format.
- supports two languages: shows instructions, words, and speaks in either English and Chinese. In my case however, my 10 years of being in a Chinese school as a kid amounted to zilch… But this is awesome for multilingual SPs (lucky them) and for those with kid clients whose L1 is Chinese
- vivid, eye-catching cartoons: need I say more?
- Um… I find it rather hard to find something faulty on a well-made FREE app. None for now!
Awesome if you want to work on:
- picture description
- answering Wh- questions
- facilitating production of both simple and complex sentences
- teaching pragmatics via stories
- comprehension of cause and effect
- problem-solving (identifying the problem, identifying consequences of the action, stating how the problem could have been avoided/prevented)
SPeak App says: 5 out of 5 smileys